Throughout time, silver has been valued highly. In fact, in at least 14 languages, the word for "money" and the word for "silver" are the same. Many people are in the market for antique sterling silver. Finding someone who is selling silver may not be all that hard but there are still some things you can do to get the antique silver pieces you really want and make the most of them.
- Decide what you are looking for. There are a lot of people out there selling silver so you should be able to find what you are looking for. If you are looking at sterling silver picture frames and do not see one that you really like, go ahead and ask if the person selling it has more pieces that are not being displayed.
- Do not be limited by the original function of the silver pieces you buy. If you buy some antique silver pieces, you do not have to use them for their original purpose. A silver spoon can be displayed as a piece of art rather than used as a spoon. If you are looking for a piece to it in with a display you already have, you can talk to the person selling silver and they may be able to find something that works. Many people display a silver tea set with tray and it works.
- Make a real statement with a central piece. If you find the right piece, you can use it as a centerpiece that wows everyone. A simple sterling candelabra, for example, can be the star of the show if you want it to be.
- Small pieces can make a big impact. When it comes to buying antique silver pieces, you do not have to go big or go home. Small, delicate silver pieces can also be used as focal points in any display. An elegant silver bowl or vase can be dazzling when you add the right flowers. By the same token, a set of three small, sterling vases can look great in the center of a table or on a mantle.
Some other things to think about when talking to dealers selling silver:
- Its value will not go down. When you think about buying precious metals it is important to note that silver is one material that is timeless. If you take the time to care for it the right way, it will not lose value over time. When you are looking at antique silver pieces, it is important to buy pieces that are in decent condition.
- Buying antique silver pieces is good for the environment. When you buy them, you are not using any environmental energy. Buying and gifting antique silver pieces is one of the best kinds of recycling. Many pieces have been around for a long time so they have a unique history.
- Have an expert take a look at pieces that are older. A number of sterling silver pieces are stamped with "925" or the word "sterling." If you find a piece with either stamp, it means it was manufactured during the 19th or 20th century. If you are not able to tell what a piece is worth or when it was made, there are experts out there who can help.
- Get insurance for your purchase. If you are buying online and the items will be shipped to you, make sure the entity or person selling silver can pack it properly. You should also make sure the package is insured correctly. This will give you more peace of mind when your silver items are en route to you.
- Clean your silver properly. Over the course of time, silver pieces can become tarnished. The good news is that there are products that can clean your silver products safely. If you are not displaying your items, they should be kept in a bag that is airtight. There are also cloth pouches that are made from a material that can keep the silver in tip-top shape.
Sterling silver items are beautiful and timeless. Antique silver pieces have a romantic story to tell and their age only adds to their beauty. They make great gifts. The right pieces can add class and style to any display.